Friday, August 13, 2010

Month SEVEN-Advanced Entertainment Law-March 2010


Intellectual Property Audit, Four exams on Terms of Use/Contract Essentials/Legal Terminology/Cyber Law, Case Studies, Management Contract Reviews, Trademark Assessments...Boo, I'm not trying to BE a lawyer, I just wanna play one on TV!!! Cassandra Willard, ESQ makes the following proclamation on the first day of class each month: "If you take good notes and listen to my lectures, you will have gained $40, 000 worth of legal advice." And believe me she makes you pay for that legal advice in sweat! That last week of class, where 40% of my grade was on the line, almost broke a sista down, but the A+ was, of course, the ultimate goal and that goal was achieved. Learned alot, worked hard and came out on top.
For my research paper, I chose to focus on the legal battle between Personal Growth Guru Tony Robbins and copy cat motivational speaker Stephen Pierce. I learned that significant liability issues with my final business project's industry include: misappropriation, unfair competition, violation of right of publicity and false impression of association. The fact that I even know what that means is scary, in a good way. Robbins accused Pierce of illegally taping the former's seminars and using his name and likeness in unauthorized advertising.

My Leadership Portfolio assignment was to interview an Entertainment lawyer. I was happy to discover that the Executive Director of the Texas Black Film Festival where my indie film was featured. Mr. David Small graciously agreed to answer my questions regarding his clients who include new band Forever the Sickest Kids and from Lil' Wayne's Young Money label hip hop artist Lil' Twist.


No comments:

Post a Comment