Friday, August 20, 2010

Month ELEVEN-Business Plan Development




The Business Plan Development course was the first one I took online. I am very much a people person so working independently from home was a challenge. I was glad for the opportunity to meet my course directors Mike Koch and Stephen Burhoe in person as they graciously allowed me to come to their office and ask any questions I might have. Once I completed all the pieces of the Business Plan puzzle, I could now look toward completing my final course related Leadership Portfolio project.

Our assignment was to research two industry experts and find out their opinions/advice on Business Plans. I chose to do my research paper on Magic Johnson and Martha Stewart, two entertainment industry moguls who have created empires and who have written books on being successful entrepreneurs.

Martha Says:

Martha Stewart advises that all entrepreneurs create a well-researched business plan to get a grasp of how big their vision is and what they will need to achieve it. In creating a business plan, Stewart asserts that entrepreneurs will begin to learn the difference between taking risks and taking chances. This is another important component of being realistic in terms of what you think you can and cannot achieve.

Magic Says:

In Magic Johnson’s book “32 Ways to be a Champion in Business”, he dedicates a whole chapter to Creating a Strong Business Plan. “A strong business plan is money in the bank. A properly done business plan shows that you’ve done your homework. Research your idea. See if there's a demand. A lot of people have great ideas, but they don't know if there's a need for it. You also have to research your competition.” .

“When I did my research on minorities, at the time they made up 35 percent of all moviegoers—an extremely high number. So I said, Wow, if African Americans are going but there are no theaters in that community, if I build one, they will come. And I’m going to help them understand that if violence happens, this theater will close. So I’m just gonna say, Hey, look, I’m building a brand-new theater. We’re gonna employ people from this neighborhood, and this is for you. And I talked to both gangs, and they told me they would not do anything bad in the theaters. So we hired some gang members on the construction crew.”



No comments:

Post a Comment