Friday, August 6, 2010

Month ONE-Executive Leadership-September 2009



Executive Leadership was the first course and it was delicious! Dr.
Steve Adkins set the tone for the program on a positive note by sharing his personal experiences and his wealth of knowledge regarding the two styles of Leadership discussed in our textbooks: "The 48 Laws of Power " and "Developing the Leader Within You". Both books were informative and I learned that I have already incorporated elements from both books in my own career and in the way I conduct my life. Executive Leadership is where I had to decide upon and disclose what my business plan would be, the business plan that I would cultivate and build upon for the next 12 months. My business, Junejaja Edutainment, is a Holistic Personal Growth and Development Seminar company targeting the under-served populations in correctional facilities, shelters and urban schools with a high percentage of "at risk" youth.
Course Director Steve Adkins exemplified leadership through his encouragement and support of my presentations, my leadership ability and of my business plan which gave me the confidence to move forward.
Steve also introduced us to the television show "Shark Tank" which helped to prepare us for the "elevator pitch" we would have to make to defend our thesis projects 11 months down the line.

Month One is also where I had to choose 6 activities that involved my observance of leadership within non-profit organizations or industry related businesses from which I could learn much. I would complete these six activities over the course of the next 12 months. The activities I ultimately chose were the following:

Volunteering at the Coalition for the Homeless
Volunteering at the Hannibal Square Heritage Center
Volunteering for the YMCA Scholarship Campaign
Participating in a Black Student Union Event
Participating in a MEISA Open Mic Event
Attending 3 Film Festivals in which my film, JITTERS, was featured as an Official Selection

The EXL project that I loved was the assignment to research a Leader in the Entertainment Industry. I chose Hattie McDaniel, the first Black to ever be invited to the Academy Awards, let alone win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in Gone With the Wind. The following is an excerpt from my APA paper:

Hattie McDaniel is arguably one of the most underrated, misunderstood, misrepresented Academy Award winners in the history of the entertainment industry. Sadly, many know her only as the fat Black lady in Gone With the Wind, which is one of AFI’s top 10 films of all time. Hattie McDaniel died of cancer at the age of 57 in 1952. Researching the complex career of this multitalented blues singer/songwriter, comedienne, radio show personality, television and film star is well worth the trouble for any artist, of any race, in search of a role model, a symbol of success and the epitome of an entertainment leader. I’ve chosen a leader who overcame obstacles in the entertainment industry during that tricky Post Civil War/Pre Civil Rights Movement time when Blacks had to do whatever was necessary to survive financially, emotionally, spiritually and physically. It would have been easy for Hattie to refuse to play a maid, but the fact of the matter is, Black women were maids back then. Black women are maids NOW! It would have been the height of insanity for her to pass up an Oscar winning role, the 17 room mansion she purchased where she had parties that Clark Gable attended and the $2000 a week salary she made while shooting her comedy show, Beulah, on ABC just so some clowns at the NAACP could praise her for playing “respectable” roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment